Monday, October 26, 2009

Insurance vs Consulting. Is all insurance work excel based?

have had a summer internship at a P&C firm and then I worked in a pension consulting firm, then I worked in a health insurance firm. From my experience and what I've heard from friends in the industry, insurance work seems to be a lot of basic work in excel - copy/pasting, inputting numbers from last year into a spreadsheet and applying an arbitrary inflation rate. Maybe you even start integrating the excel numbers into a document.No offense to anyone but this is is work that the admin did in the pension consulting field. I thoroughly enjoyed the work I did in consulting - it was quantitative, I learned a lot and I felt "active" whereas in the insurance jobs, I felt like I took all these advanced actuarial exams to sit there and do deadbeat work. I have a feeling that life insurance is a bit different. I'm now looking for a job. And I'm on the fence.I want a job with decent hours and I don't want to go running after clients demands (consulting). But I don't want a deadbeat, boring, excel inputting number job (insurance). Question:Do other people have this experience with insurance jobs? Did you work on programming/testing models? What industry and/or company did you work for?Also, does it look bad at an interview or to recruiters to ask about this? how quantitative is the job? How do I say "I don't want to be inputting number into excel all day" in a polite and professional way?Thanks for any input

No comments:

Post a Comment